My essential 90s albums

 


The Cardigans- Gran Turismo (1998): Growing up in the 90s I was mostly into Britpop, pop and r&b and then I got into this album. It was my gateway into rock, alternative and punk and I was obsessed with it. I copied it to a tape and played it on my walkman over and over. Fave song: Do You Believe  

Garbage- Garbage (1995): Garbage are my all-time favourites. I discovered them through their Bond theme (The World is not Enough) and the song Milk that I had on a Now 34 collection. I used my Birthday money to buy both their albums at the time and that is when I truly started to LOVE music. You know when you find THAT band or artist. Shirley sounds snarling, hard and full of attitude. Fave song: Queer 

Hole- Live Through This (1994): Another essential band. This album did and still does mean everything to me. So much angst, guts and power. Often described as female rage which is kind of urgh but at the same time captures its essence because this is life from a women’s perspective. A woman that is tired of everyone’s shit and Courtney Love is a true badass. Fave song: Violet 

Skunk Anansie- Stoosh (1996): From the opening track Yes, its Fucking Political you knew this album meant business. I first discovered Skin watching Top of the Pops. Amongst all the bland pop Skin jumped about the stage wearing black eyeliner and leather trousers. Her voice was soft then as heavy as lead and back again. Fave song: She’s My Heroine 

Shakespears Sister- Hormonally Yours (1992): The best way I can describe this album is goth alt pop. It’s dark and full of drama. Featuring the duel vocals of Marcella and Siobhan this was huge at the time, mostly thanks to the hit song Stay which I was completely obsessed with. Look up the classic video on youtube. Fave song: Stay 

PJ Harvey- To Bring You My Love (1995): I got into PJ late, I bought this album in the second-hand section of my local record shop after reading Courtney and Shirley often mention their love for her. Well, I’m so glad I did because wow this album is amazing. Dark, bluesy, raw. I remember seeing a picture of PJ at the time with unshaven arm pits and no makeup and another where she had heavy blue eyeshadow and a bright pink jumpsuit and I knew she was cool. Fave song: Teclo 

Bjork- Homogenic (1997): I first knew of Bjork from her song It’s Oh So Quiet which had become a big hit in an almost novelty kind of way. So when I listened to her other music, I was shocked- I’d heard nothing like it before. It’s hard to describe Bjork because she is completely and utterly original in both her music and her style. Her music is always way ahead of its time.  Fave song: Immature 

Lush- Lovelife (1996): Lush are not quite Britpop and not quite shoegaze. Their sound is catchy melodies and Miki’s lyrics are fun and full of attitude (especially Ladykillers!). Also, Heavenly Bodies is about Miki’s startruck encounter with Courtney Love. Fave song: Tralala 

Tori Amos- Little Earthquakes (1992): I could have easily chosen any of the albums Tori released in the 90s and it was a tough call but I’ve chosen her debut. Brutally raw and honest, sometimes uncomfortable always beautiful. Fave song: Precious Things


Jack off Jill- Sexless Demons and Scars (1997): Although my favourite album of JOJ was Clear Hearts Grey Flowers from 2000 their debut is still a great listen. Riot grrrl goth rock with front woman Jessicka singing screaming and and spitting with rage. Fave song: My Cat 

Portishead- Dummy (1994): This whole album is perfect. Seen as one of the best trip hop albums of the 90s this fuses electonic sounds with Beth Gibbons often mournful lyrics and voice perfectly.  An essential to your music collection. Fave song: Sour Times 

L7- The Beauty Process Triple Platinum (1997): Although their album Bricks Are Heavy is seen as their seminal record this was the first album of theirs, I bought. Again, from the second-hand section of my indie record store where I spent all my time and money. This album is still full of attitude but has softer moments and a bit of experimentation with their sound. Fave song: Bitter Wine 

Neneh Cherry- Man (1996): Neneh is another 90s icon. After having a successful career in the 80s as a hip-hop pop star, her 3rd album Man was a change in sound. More trip hop and alt this album really showcased Neneh’s amazing voice. Fave song: Woman 

Echobelly- On (1995): This album is pure Britpop and has such a nostalgic summer sound to me. You can really hear that vocalist Sonia was inspired by The Smiths and Blondie in her vocal melodies and slice of life lyrics. Fave Song: Dark Therapy 

Veruca Salt- Eight Arms to hold You (1997): Veruca Salts second album perfectly mixes grunge with alt rock and makes it sound fresh. Featuring two vocalists, Nina Gordon and Louise Post the album is full of energy and attitude. This band should have been HUGE. Fave Song: Volcano Girls 

Throwing muses- University (1995): Although Kristin Hersh’s solo albums are amazing I had to pick this underrated gem. Opening with a killer track and going from there the almost goth guitars and vocal melodies on this are solid, seriously Kristin’s voice is phenomenal. Fave song: Bright Yellow Gun 

Belly- Star (1993): Either of Belly’s albums could be on this list but Star just wins it for me. Alt but with a dark folksy edge, Tanya Donelly’s often haunting vocals and intense guitar sound still sound fresh to this day. Fave song: Angel 

The Breeders- Last Splash (1993): Featuring The Breeders Kim Deal on vocals and guitar this album is rightfully regarded as a masterpiece. Rock with and experimental twinge the songs are frothy and erratic. Fave song: Cannonball  

Bandit Queen- Hormone Hotel (1995): Severely underrated, this album never got much attention and I have no idea why because it’s great. This record does not have a bad track, and it’s full of melodic indie rock bangers. Fave track: Frida Kahlo 

Salad- Ice Cream (1997): Salad were often lumped in with Britpop but they were more interesting than that, incorporating keyboards and synths into their catchy poppy alt sound. Fave song: Yeah Yeah 

Elastica- Elastica (1995): Arguably one of the biggest bands on the 90s, at least in the UK with vocalist Justine Frischmann being one of the main faces of Britpop this album really has more of a post punk/ new wave sound that is full of attitude and very cool. Fave song: Waking Up 

Comments